birding-aus

Do Powerful Owls eat carrion?

To: Michael Norris <>
Subject: Do Powerful Owls eat carrion?
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 00:56:02 +0000
Michael,
Debus: 'The Owls of Australia' says "prey rarely taken from the ground” & no
mention of carrion.

>From my observations individual birds adapt to their environment, such as the
>Sydney Botanical Gardens owls that regularly take flying foxes, whereas birds
>that have access to a plentiful supply of possums don’t often bother with
>flying foxes, or birds.
The only time I have seen a Powerful Owl take anything except live prey is when
they have dropped held prey onto a lower branch while being harassed by
Currawongs.
 So even if your particular owl does take poisoned carrion it is not a species
trait & unlikely to affect more than this bird IMHO.

Possible rat-bait deaths of possums is an issue that might be resolved by
taking a body to the Museum or Zoo for analysis. Not sure of best Melbourne
option.

Regards, Chris

Chris Charles
+61412911184

Licole Monopods
http://www.licole.com.au <http://www.licole.com.au/>
> On 21 Mar 2016, at 10:41 AM, Michael Norris <> wrote:
>
> The other day I saw a Powerful Owl near my home in suburban Melbourne, 16km
> from the CBD.  It was in a garden where a number of possums have been found
> dead so I’d like to know if these owls eat carrion.   My concern is that
> current rat baits can accumulate in the bodies of vertebrates that scavenge
> on corpses.
>
> Michael Norris
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list