birding-aus

All change at Melbourne's WTP

To: Mark Stanley <>
Subject: All change at Melbourne's WTP
From: John Harris <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 00:06:47 +0000
Hi Mark,

The F18, maybe, or the shooting from the start of duck-season, at Beach
Rd.......

I wanted to catch the phalarope again next weekend.... bummer!!

Cheers

John

*Yours in all things* "*GREEN"*

*John Harris BASc, GDipEd*
*Croydon, Vic*
*Director - Wildlife Experiences Pty Ltd*
*Principal **Zoologist/**Ecologist*
*Nature Photographer*
*Wildlife Guide*

*www.wildlifeexperiences.com.au <http://www.wildlifeexperiences.com.au>*
 <>*
*www.flickr.com/photos/wildlifeexperiences
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildlifeexperiences>*
*0409090955*

*Past President, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria*
*(www.fncv.org.au <http://www.fncv.org.au/>)*

On 21 March 2016 at 10:54, Mark Stanley <> wrote:

> What a difference a week makes.
>
> Last Monday, 14 of March the T-Section lagoons played host to a wide array
> of migratory waders: Black-tailed Godwits, Red Knots, Greenshanks, dozens
> of Marsh Sandpipers, hundreds of Sharpies, similar numbers of Curlew Sands,
> loads of RN Stints, a Pectoral, 3 or 4 Woods and of course the popular
> Red-necked Phalarope. Watching an mature Black Falcon dashing in and
> shuffling the pack last week was a highlight.
>
> This Sunday there were just a couple of Sharpies and the Godwits remaining;
> the Stilts, Avocets and Lapwings were still there in similar numbers but
> had all the rest started their northward migration? The beach near the hide
> held large numbers of Stints on the receding tide line but only a few
> Sharpies and I could not pick out anything else. Similar story along the
> coast as far as the Borrow Pits.
>
> Perhaps the F18 flying to and from the F1 GP in Albert Park scared them off
> (- though the local Stilts and Lapwings around Albert Park do not seem to
> fussed about the commotion) or is this just the week that they leave?
>
> Have other observers noted similar reductions in migratory waders this
> week? At Broome they watch the waders depart as a evening ritual at this
> time of year. Must try and sample the WTP more regularly mid March next
> year.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Stanley
> <HR>