birding-aus

Feeding Birds

To: "" <>
Subject: Feeding Birds
From: Barney Enders <>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 00:36:38 +0000
I don't want to get involved in the discussion for or against on feeding
birds but a couple of things I would like to suggest to those that do.
Feeding to much Black Sunflower to Parrots and Cockatoos is a no, no, as any
one that has breed them in aviaries will tell you, Grey Sunflower
is the one to use but will cost extra to buy but doesn't cause the feather
problems Black does.

Good wild bird seed includes Grey where most cheaper ones use Black, most
bird seeds include seed that are only there to help fill the bag.
Sorghum, Safflower Wheat, Barley and Corn are rarely eaten by parrots
especially Neophemas, Red-rumps etc as they are too hard but will be eaten
by pigeons etc
if they are coming into the feeders.
You will notice the Sunflower is always the first seed to be eaten.
Don't worry about the seed being small, Glossy Black-Cockatoos, Galahs  etc
eat Casuarina seeds, Galahs Corellas and Sulphur-crested thrive on
Cape-weed, Dock
seed etc     Eclectus Parrots in Aviaries love Plain Canary seed.

I once saw a massive flock of between 350 and 400 Carnaby's rise out of a
paddock of native grass and when I had a look at it the seed was as small as
Rye Grass seed.

Most breeders in their aviaries use Plain Canary seed as the main seed with
a mixture of White Millet, Jap.Millet, Panicum and a few Hulled Oats with a
small amount
of Grey Sunflower,Linseed etc

Oil seeds, Rape (Canola) and Black Sunflower are not grown commercially for
bird seed they are for putting on your toast.

Most Parrots and Cockatoos time their breeding season to match the grains in
the paddocks when it is still in the milky stage, after stripping they are
forced to eat the hardened seed on the side of the roads or alternatively
seeding weeds, grasses and Wattles etc.

Canola seed is killing Short-billed Carnaby's  Black-Cockatoos in W A where
they are eating it in the paddocks and is impossible to prevent.

On a trip to W A I visited a guy who has had great success breeding
Carnaby's Black-Cockatoos in his yard and around the town using Hollow logs
fitted
to a plough disc fitted to the top of 2 or 3 inch pipe 20 to 25 feet in the
air, he also has a log tied to his chimney.
He works on the theory that the nesting trees are now too far away from the
Banksias etc due to clearing and he feeds them in his yard only during
the nesting season with great success as the food is close to the hollows
eliminating the long flights back to the large Gums which he thought it was
not letting the parents give enough feed to the young due to time wasted
flying back and forth the long distance.

He had over the years bred dozens of young including 13 from the log on the
chimney plus many more from the other logs in his yard and around the town.
He remarked that the year I was there he had trouble getting the young off
the ground because of feather trouble and I said "You are not feeding
Black Sunflower are you " and he said   "How did you know that ??? "
lesson learnt over many years.

Only being a pensioner and Sunflower was costing him $1200 a year and grey
had gone up in price he could only afford Black. ( Disaster)

Regarded as an acentric old fellow and ridiculed for a long time, his
practices regarding the types of nesting hollows etc are now being used by
the D P I
and other organizations.
Barney