birding-aus

Feeding wild birds

Subject: Feeding wild birds
From: casliber0134 <>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 01:07:14 +0000
Problem is Greg when advising folks who want a "pretty" garden, you
want to be able to give folks advice on safer nonlocal plants. Many
local natives are hard to grow or even harder to find...so you risk
your garden looking like the local amenities strip or park which has
been planted by the same local native community nursery you've sourced
your plants from....
But this is moving off the topic of birding I guess....
Cas

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Greg and Val Clancy <> wrote:
> If you want to optimise the ecological value of your garden you should only
> plant local native species.   The Mt Morgan Wattle, a native of Queensland,
> has become a weed in the Clarence Valley as has the dreaded Cadagi, a north
> Queensland native.  You don't need exotics or grafted natives as they don't
> provide the natural habitat that local natives provide.  I know people will
> plant them but that is their choice.  It isn't the best ecological choice.
> Yes call me a purist but I contend that there is no better way to be when
> considering ecological gardens.  Non-local Grevilleas and bottlebrush often
> attract the larger birds that displace the small passerines, just as feeding
> often does.
>
> Regards
>
> Greg
> Dr Greg. P. Clancy
> Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
> | PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460
> | 02 6649 3153  | 0429 601 960
> http://www.gregclancyecologistguide.com
> http://gregswildliferamblings.blogspot.com.au/
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Casimir Liber
> Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:29 AM
> To: 'Birding-aus'
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Feeding wild birds
>
> Penny you need to be wary about saying "just plant natives" - many wattles
> are far worse weeds in Australia than camellias and roses, for instance.
> Most eucalypts, wattles, hakeas and grevilleas have some level of risk. The
> best advice is a mixture of local natives and habitat species that can be
> native or exotic BUT are researched for their weed potential. Anything
> native that is grafted is generally good as its seed progeny are unlikely to
> survive (a good thing!)
> Regards
> Cas Liber
>

> <HR>