birding-aus

Feeding birds

To: Peter Morgan <>
Subject: Feeding birds
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 06:18:57 +0000
Peter

Years ago a friend in a small NT town began feeding Rainbow Lorikeets and soon
had hundreds of birds coming in accompanied by galahs and corellas.  She
thought it great for tourism and nothing I said appeared to make any difference.

In both Palmerston and Darwin here in the Top End there are huge roosts of
lorikeets sustained at least in part by feeders.  I tried to do something about
them too.  I pointed out the risks to health - the Palmerston birds roosted in
trees overlooking a food market, even suggesting to Council that their public
liability insurance may not cover them if people fell ill.   I even tried
running for Council.  But the response of the good people there was that they
“loved” the lorikeets and nothing changed.

When we moved here to Darwin River (about 85 km southwest of Darwin) the
prevous owners told us they’d been feeding a pair of Radjah Shelducks, a family
of Pied Butcherbirds, and another family of Blue-winged Kookaburras (plus
Brush-tailed Possums and Northern Brown Bandicoots) for over 25 years.  We’ve
gradually ceased feeding everything apart from the two ducks, and a few finches
and doves. Of course in mango season it’s a free for all on our three trees.
And when the termites arrive in their millions during the Buildup, there’s
almost a stampede of wildlife around the house.

If people are going to feed birds they need to know how to do it safely and in
ways that aren’t going to impact too much on other wildlife (or people for that
matter).

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Nominated by Earthfoot for Condé Nast’s International  Ecotourism Award, 2004.

With every introduction of a plant or animal that goes feral this continent
becomes a little less unique, a little less Australian.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>