birding-aus

Hexham swamp

To: Liz Temple <>, "" <>
Subject: Hexham swamp
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 00:06:21 +0000
Hi Liz (and cc'ing the list for info),
It is a lot simpler, but you still need to follow the instructions pretty
carefully, as it is easy to miss key turn offs (it is much simpler in the way
that there are no longer any escorts for vehicles). Mid last year the Hunter
Bird Observers Club (HBOC) published a detailed description of access,
accompanied by a map. See:
http://www.hboc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Hexham-Swamp-access-June-2015.pdf
It was also included in the recent HBOC Newcastle Wetlands Birding Route, which
will also give you some alternative places to visit:
http://www.hboc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/NewcastleWetlands_BirdRoute_web.pdf
Note that there is now no "Construction Gate Access" and that you simply drive
along the access road as far as you can, until you come to the rail facility
gate (it is obvious). Turn right there over the cattle grid and follow the
track, taking the right hand turn as described in the above. If you miss this
turn you will come to a small water treatment plant (in which case you know
you've gone too far). Just make sure you also turn left onto the main pipeline
track and do not go straight ahead to the private property as is marked as
green on the map.
I was out there yesterday and there aren't many birds. It's been raining here
for a few years now(!) and there is water everywhere (we also had our second
east coast low in 8 months recently). Of interest there were sharpies,
greenshanks, stilts etc in the paddocks just before you turn left to take the
pipeline track. I was mostly looking for Yellow Wagtails but saw none (there is
perhaps too much growth on the tracks after all the rain?).
But if there's any place that can change literally overnight it's Hexham Swamp!
So enjoy your visit. There has been a Brolga reported in the broader area, so
keep your eyes out for that.
Mick