birding-aus

Pelagic Trip Report: Port Fairy, VIC - 12 Jan 2016

To: "" <>
Subject: Pelagic Trip Report: Port Fairy, VIC - 12 Jan 2016
From: James Mustafa Jazz Orchestra <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 14:05:02 +0000
Hi Birding-Aus,

Today we had a special one-off weekday pelagic from Port Fairy - organised
for some mates of mine from the US who were only in Melbourne during this
week. It turned out to be a pretty exciting trip - see below. As per normal
the boat was coordinated by Port Fairy Boat Charter
<http://pfboatcharter.com.au/home/>.

*Trip Report:*
Tuesday 12 January 2016

*Participants:*
Geoff Glare, Tim Nickholds, Richard Fried, Lila Fried, Jacob Drucker,
Clancye Milne, Angus Hartshorn, Neil Macumber, Steven Castan, Lani Castan,
Bruce Richardson, Lynn Richardson & James Mustafa (organiser).

*Conditions:*
Beautiful clear sunny day from dawn right through to the late afternoon.
Started off a little cold but warmed up quickly in the pleasant conditions.
Wind was mostly Southeasterly at about 15 knots which increased in the
afternoon, making for a bit of a wet return. Swell was about 3 metres.

*Mammals:*
*Common Dolphin*: 5 - 3 inshore in the AM and another 2 on the return

*Oceanic Bottlenosed Dolphin*: 80 - if not a lot more mixed in with pod of
Long-flippered Pilot Whale at 3 miles before the shelf.

*Long-finned Pilot Whale*: 50 - at least this number 3 miles from the shelf
including a calf. Provided unbelievable views as they swam metres from the
boat for 30mins+. We had incredible 'boat away' views.

*Australian Fur Seal*: 3 seen on the way to the shelf in the AM

*Birds:* (16) A very rewarding list achieved through patience. Though
numbers weren't great we had a good variety of species throughout the day
including highlight species Little Shearwater (I think the first live
record for Vic since 2006 off the top of my head) and a single Gould's
Petrel at the first burley point. Attached a record shot of the Little
Shearwater.

*Little Penguin*: 1 (1). Offshore in AM

*Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross*: 3 (1). 1 on the way to the shelf, and 2
others at the shelf.

*Shy Albatross*: 60 (14). All cauta/steadi and all adult birds. First seen
on the way to the shelf and through the remainder pelagic.

*Great-winged Petrel*: 5 (2). All gouldii and all pelagic

*Gould's Petrel*: 1 (1). At first burley point past shelf. Shot past round
the front of the boat and continued parallel heading off into the distance
allowing for some brief but ok views.

*Fairy Prion:* 14 (3). Offshore and remainder of pelagic

*White-chinned Petrel*: 4 (1). All pelagic birds

*Sooty Shearwater*: 2 (2). Still quite close to shore in the AM on the way
out to the shelf.

*Short-tailed Shearwater*: 200 (40). Good numbers and consistent through
the day.

*Hutton's Shearwater*: 2 (1). First bird on the way to the shelf and 2nd
bird at the 2nd burley point.

*Fluttering Shearwater*: 11 (2). Offshore and remainder pelagic. Amazingly
a single (very sick looking bird) landed on the water down the Moyne River
at the wharf with the boat. Was an unusual sight!

*Little Shearwater*: 2 (2). Birds observed for another 10 minutes coming up
the slick at the 1st burley stop and then observed sitting on the water.
Many good photographs taken and an excellent record for Victoria!

*Wilson's Storm Petrel*: 2 (2). Both birds at 2nd burley point

*White-faced Storm-Petrel*: 10 (3). All pelagic

*Australasian Gannet*: 70 (25). Small flocks of birds consistent throughout
the day. All adults, no juveniles seen.

*Great Crested Tern*: 12 (3). A few single birds offshore, 9 pelagic

In and around the Moyne River and Estuary we also had Ruddy Turnstone,
Common Greenfinch, Hoary-headed Grebe, Black Swan, Great Crested Tern,
Caspian Tern, Silver Gull, Pacific Gull, Kelp Gull, Little Raven, Grey
Teal, Masked Lapwing, New Holland Honeyeater, House Sparrow, Willie Wagtail
and Australian Magpie.

All the best,

*James Mustafa*

m. 0400 951 517