birding-aus

Bush Stone-curlew at Nowra & Australian Figbirds at Mallacoota

To: "" <>
Subject: Bush Stone-curlew at Nowra & Australian Figbirds at Mallacoota
From: Mike Carter <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:48:30 +0000
After successfully twitching the Paradise Shelduck in light rain on 6
January 2016, my wife and I stayed in the Nowra Motor Inn at the junction of
Kalandar & Kinghorne Streets Nowra, a very urban area. At dusk, well before
it was fully dark and after the rain had ceased, two or more Bush
Stone-curlews were calling from somewhere very close to that location. I was
too tired and wet to investigate. Alan Morris tells me that Bush
Stone-curlews have nested in Nowra in the past but he knows of no reports
since at least 2010.

On the way home we stayed at Mallacoota where I saw Figbirds in Victoria for
the first time. Long-time resident Bob Semmens told me that he knew of two
Figbird nests in the township there this last season and considers that the
species is becoming more prevalent.

Mike Carter, 03 5977 1262

181/160 Mornington-Tyabb Road

Mornington, VIC 3931, Australia