birding-aus

Letter-winged Kite in Danger of Extinction?

To: Greg Roberts <>
Subject: Letter-winged Kite in Danger of Extinction?
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 02:26:10 +0000
Back in the early nineties, the Gould League Bird Study Camp Club went to the
John Hobbs Eremophila Patch.  While there Bev and I met Lindsay Cupper and he
spoke about the Letter-winged Kite.  I remember him saying how once you used to
go out to their area and you would see large numbers, but increasingly what you
were finding were cats in their trees and nests.  In the spotlight, the cats
eyes lit the trees up "like Christmas trees".
So, the cats have been a problem for a long time.

Our first sighting of the LWK was the year before Peter Waanders took the photo
of the ginger cat on the nest that is in the magazine.  We were back there a
year later, about two weeks before Peter took his photo.  We saw probably the
same ginger cat on the nest, but only managed a pretty ordinary photo before it
took off out of the tree and into the distance.

While we did see a couple of Kites in the area, it was a sickening experience.

Last year, there was a bit of a stir about feral cat control.  I got responses
from minister Hunt's office and NSW NPWS, and NSW NPA at the time.  I just hope
that the issue is still high on the agenda of ministers and conservation
authorities.
This discussion and the article by Sean Dooley make it timely to do some