birding-aus

marketing and BirdLife

To: 'Messages Birding-aus' <>
Subject: marketing and BirdLife
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 23:11:45 +0000
I too am disappointed at this battering of whinges. I would like to add to
and broadly support some of what Ken wrote, without reposting many of the
other messages. Of course BLA seek donations to achieve their aims. Along
with a vast number of other presumably worthwhile organisations. So what is
wrong with that? It would be pathetic if they did not try. Sure they could
space it out more in time but they don't know when our individual situation
changes, so that we have a bit more available. How else are they supposed to
raise their profile and achieve things? Surely we should support them when
we can and if we can't for a time, then encourage them by being polite in
the hope that fund raising will be successful or that we will soon have some
of our own money to donate a bit more. That is my suggestion. Or put BLA in
your will.....

I constantly get letters and email requests even from organisations with
whom I have no connection whatever. So what? That is life today. Try
travelling to places where poor people beg in the street as a means to
survive or hassle you to buy trinkets.  Every year I participate in doing
collections around my neighbourhood for heart foundation, red cross etc.
Some people always donate and some never do... So what? That is their
choice. As someone doing that simple task as a volunteer, I am far more
happy with someone who says sorry I can't give anything now than someone who
whinges at the approach.

Don't think people are averse to giving...... Last weekend as part of the
local Men's Shed (of which I am a member) I manned the gate with others, for
a "Terribly British Car display day" in Canberra. I am not remotely
interested in old British cars. They invited us to collect donations in
thanks for doing this traffic control task. People entering almost threw
money at us, just for doing this trivial task, even though we said there is
no entry fee. Almost no one declined to donate and we made a lot. On other
days I have worked at sausage sizzles at Bunnings to raise charity funds.
The money pours in and it is not because the food is great or the customers
are underfed. Maybe BLA could try that.

As for "Birdlife [and its predecessors] have remained invisible ....." what
nonsense! Especially in this day of easy communication. I found and joined
BOCA in 1970 when I was aged 13 and RAOU in 1975 and have always been able
to find them since then. Having more funds available to increase their
profile can only help. Of course I am concerned that funds obtained are
appropriately used and that they are properly managed and reported on. And
yes this involves administrative costs and there is nothing wrong with that.
Provided the balance is right. And of course to encourage membership can be
better than collecting some donations but membership is also a source of
funds. I have been a member of these and other bird clubs continuously since
1970.....

Philip Veerman
Canberra  ACT