birding-aus

Ibis habitat destroyed

To: 'Greg and Val Clancy' <>
Subject: Ibis habitat destroyed
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 04:23:39 +0000
Why would Straw-necked Ibis nesting somewhere new, in any way indicate that
nesting opportunities in traditional Murray-Darling and other inland sites
are deficient? There may be other evidence of the latter, which is of course
a different issue. But extending a range does not of itself suggest
something wrong with somewhere else that they have also used. It could be
relevant but no reason just in that to think it is.

Surely the White Ibis are extending their breeding range to breeding in
inner city Sydney because of an over supply of food there, not because of
any deficiencies elsewhere.

Rainbow Lorikeets have spread dramatically into SE Aust in the past 30
years. Crested Pigeons and Little Corellas have extended drastically towards
the eastern coastal areas from a former inland range (both now abundant in
Canberra which is a recent thing). The Koel has become a common breeder in
Canberra, a situation that did not exist years ago. Are these caused by or
even accompanied by a decline elsewhere? Of course all these issues depend
on when in history we decide to use as our baseline. For which there is no
right answer.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Birding-Aus
 On Behalf Of Greg and Val
Clancy
Sent: Wednesday, 2 December 2015 12:58 PM       To: Peter Shute; 'Denise
Goodfellow'; birding-aus        Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Ibis habitat
destroyed

A worrying fact is that in the past few years Straw-necked Ibis have been
recorded nesting at Lawrence, on the New South Wales North Coast.  This
would suggest that species other than the Australian White Ibis are finding
nesting opportunities in traditional Murray-Darling and other inland sites
deficient.   I don't mind the Straw-necked Ibis nesting locally, it is a
great event, but I worry about what it is saying about humans' mismanagement

of inland waterways.  Straw-necked Ibis have never nesting locally in the
past as far as I am aware.

Regards
Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy,