birding-aus

RFI: Sydney to Brisbane road trip

To: "" <>
Subject: RFI: Sydney to Brisbane road trip
From: David Hollie <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 06:01:36 +0000
Hi all,

I am a US birder currently working at Serendip Sanctuary outside of
Melbourne. My time here will finish at the end of January, and my parents
will be coming to Australia to travel with me for a couple of weeks in
mid-February. For the first leg of our trip we are interested in doing a
Sydney to Brisbane road trip (probably in a rented camper van).  My parents
are not birders, but they have an appreciation for nature and love getting
outside and hiking, so my birding integrates nicely with what they like to
do. They are especially keen to visit some of the national parks on the
route, but with only 7 or 8 days to do the road trip we will obviously only
have time to stop at certain ones. I am curious to get local knowledge on
must-see places (for scenery, birding, and overall interesting ecology and
biodiversity) on a route between Sydney and Brisbane. Keep in mind that
since we will be in a camper van, the recommended places will need to have
a caravan park somewhere in general area.
Another option we were considering is to only do Lamington NP (staying at
O'Reilly's) and possibly a few nights at Mount Glorious (although we would
be open to suggestions for a second destination within a few hours drive of
Brisbane). Any opinions on the pros and cons of either of these options
would be much appreciated!

Good Birding!
David Hollie
Georgia, USA