birding-aus

It's back ............ Crested Honey Buzzard at Lake Joondalup, Perth, W

To: "" <>, "birdswa Google Group" <>
Subject: It's back ............ Crested Honey Buzzard at Lake Joondalup, Perth, WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:37:45 +0000
On the WA twitchathon today, we were looking for Variegated Fairywren
and Carnaby's Black Cockatoo at the north east end of Lake Joondalup,
when we saw a largish raptor being harassed by two Swamp Harriers,
and it quickly became apparent that it was the Crested Honey Buzzard.

When last seen it was flying south towards the east side of the lake,
and disappeared behind some trees from where we were.

I looked for this bird for a total of about 24 hours over 5 or 6 days
earlier this year and failed. So finally a new bird for my WA list.
It is a bird I have seen poorly on Cocos Islands, and seen in Africa,
Turkey and several places in Asia (depending on taxonomy where IOC
currently includes Oriental with Crested).

Presumably it has returned, rather than overstayed, as there have
been no reports of it since February or maybe March. There were
actually two birds earlier in the year. They were first reported in
January, so they hung around for nearly two months. Presumably this
bird is also the Oriental race.

Sorry BARC, but no time for a submission. I am off to Argentina on
Tuesday :-) Hopefully it will stay around again, and people will be
able to photograph it to provide more details.

<BR>