birding-aus

Ground Parrots at Malabar

To: Chris Lloyd <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Ground Parrots at Malabar
From: Joshua Bergmark <>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 02:00:08 +0000
One bird was caught by a cat and collected by WIRES sometime around 2008. I
believe a number of birders subsequently searched the headland, and remote
listening surveys were carried out multiple times. One "possible" bird was
heard on one occasion, and I assume this is the second bird Kai mentioned.

Apart from that, Ground Parrots have not been in Sydney for decades.
Populations are thought to still persist to the south in very low numbers,
specifically in the heath north of Bulli Tops, and maybe higher areas
around Lake Cataract, where one or two surveys have turned up the species
in recent years (2011 I think?).

Records on the coast in Sydney at Malabar, and another record from 2 years
ago on the Central Coast, likely represent young birds dispersing, or more
sightings would have been reported in recent years.

Lewin's Rail on the other hand are everywhere at Malabar, which I have seen
on multiple visits early in the morning or late afternoon while walking (I
always specifically listen and whistle for Ground Parrots when in the
area). Orange-bellied Parrot is a big hole on my Sydney list too ;-)

Cheers,
Joshua Bergmark

On Monday, 26 October 2015, Chris Lloyd <> wrote:

> I sorry I can't help on the search for GPs closer to the northern suburbs
> however I am curious about the statement:
>

> "Well, ok, so there are/were the Malabar birds, but my understanding is
> that
> no more have been seen there for several years and the source of the two
> birds is still slightly controversial?"
>
> Can anyone tell me on or offline when these two birds were found at Malabar
> and why they a controversial?
>

> Chris Lloyd.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list