birding-aus

RFI: Eastern Ground Parrot

To: Kai Schraml <>
Subject: RFI: Eastern Ground Parrot
From: Harry Nyström <>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:02:16 +0000
Hi mate,

Tried it twice at Barren Grounds and Budderoo during mid and late
September. Dipped it both times at Barren Grounds, but with incredible luck
managed to see it both times at Budderoo. More specifically along the Fire
Trail, just before the gate. The first time it flushed from the right side
of the track and the second time from the left side of the track. On both
times it was pure coincidence; e.g. on the second time me and my mate were
standing on the trail and I decided to get closer to the Emu-wrens to get a
better view for my mate. I walked a bit to the left off the track and my
mate walked a bit forward on the track. When I stopped as the Emu-wrens
were in front of me, the Ground Parrot flushed literally just from between
us giving us brief but nevertheless gratifying views.

Bristlebirds were vocal on both locations, but could only be seen at Barren
Grounds, jumping on the track. Beautiful Firetails were seen/heard on the
first trip at both locations, but not on the second one (someone found at
least one at Barren Grounds not very long ago). Emu-wrens were also present
at both locations, but more easily seen at Budderoo, at least for us. A
pair of Gang-gang Cockatoos were at the Barren Grounds parking area on the
first trip (not at all vocal), but unfortunately we didn't find them during
my second visit.

Good luck on your hunt, where ever it'll be!

Cheers,
-Harry

> Good afternoon everyone,
>
> I’d like to have a look for Eastern Ground Parrot. I live in the
> Hornsby/Berowra corridor and wondered where the closest couple of places to
> find it might be.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kai
> <HR>