birding-aus

Corvid calls

To: Graeme Chapman <>, "" <>
Subject: Corvid calls
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 03:06:23 +0000
Hi All
Yes, I think I got the same one wrong. The problem is that the call used I
believe was from a juvenile bird, & they are a lot more tricky to separate on
call. They all make a sharper calls when they are juveniles, when I listened
back after learning of my mistake I could hear that distinctive low, soulless
growl distinctive of Forest. I am constantly listening out for calls of these
corvids in Victoria & in the end it's always been one or the other (unless I
don't get enough on them). I am getting better at picking them out on plumage
and jizz now too & again it's usually one or the other. I don't there is any
evidence of intergradation between the species, although it would be a hard
thing to ascertain without something like DNA.-Kevin Bartram

> Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 13:15:44 +1100
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Corvid calls
> CC:
>

> Hello Ian (Tom) and all,
>
> Your Corvid-Call Quiz is a step in the right direction and good fun but more
> confusing than of help.  All our corvids have a wide repertoire, and it
> didn't compare the equivalent calls of each species.  As you pointed out, it
> omitted the New-England Raven and as you didn't point out, the Australian
> Raven from Western Australia, a very different sounding bird.
>
> Pity you didn't contact me about the quiz, I could have helped as I probably
> have the biggest collection of corvid calls in Australia, including New
> England Ravens. Many of these calls are available on my website but the
> number I can present is limited by space. I am always willing to help anyone
> interested.
>
> Your comment about being confused by Forest Raven/Little Raven calls in
> southern Victoria is an interesting one. There could be intermediates -
> nobody knows. This is also discussed on my website under the text for Forest
> Raven.
>
> Little Ravens vary a fair bit in size and also voice. The smaller birds from
> the inland have the highest pitched voices and the bigger birds from alpine
> areas have deeper (sounding more like Forest Raven ) calls. These alpine
> birds do move down to the coastal regions in winter, so in places like Lakes
> Entrance both species can occur, and identifying them by call is tricky to
> say the least.
>
> Regards
>
> Graeme Chapman.
> <HR>