birding-aus

Cockatoos and Corellas nesting in non trees.

To: "" <>
Subject: Cockatoos and Corellas nesting in non trees.
From: Barney Enders <>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:21:28 +0000
Years ago I saw Corellas nesting in the Limestone Cliffs along the lower
Murray River, when boating on the river, I think it was near Mannum S.A.

On a trip across the Nullarbor in 2011 Galahs were nesting in the cliffs
along the Coast at the start of the Great Australian Bight, there were no

large trees in this area.

Cock birds were calling the hens out of the holes to feed them in the
mornings.

Many more were eating the soil from the cliffs and they were the deepest
pink I have ever seen on Galahs possibly due to the minerals they were

getting from the soil. ( Photos taken )

On the Gold Coast there is a small flock of Long-billed Corellas and many
large flocks of Little Corellas.

Where the Nerang-Broadbeach Rd crosses the Pacific Hw at Nerang a pair of
Littles Corellas tried to nest in the traffic lights, they were seen chewing

the paint around the cover each morning when I went to work and after about
a week one could be seen sitting sideways in the light all day, lasted

about five days.

Don't know if they were hunted away or she laid an egg and it fell down onto
the road.

They have been hanging around there again this year.

Too many Corellas and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and not enough old trees
with hollows in them.

Barney.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list