birding-aus

Let's not forget who found the Night Parrot

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Let's not forget who found the Night Parrot
From: Charles <>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:38:44 +0000
I disagree Carl. It has a better chance of survival being "rediscovered" in my
view.

John's discovery is practically the same as finding a new bird species.

Perhaps worthy of a rename perhaps Pezoporus Youngi?

Certainly one of the greatest birding endeavours we'll ever see in this country.

Another that springs to mind (outside of Australia) is the work done on the
Tooth-billed Pigeon (Little Dodo) in Samoa.

Happy birding.

Cheers,
Charles Hunter

> On 12 Aug 2015, at 12:29 pm, Carl Clifford <> wrote:
>
> I think that John Young's finding of the Night Parrot, while well meaning,
> will probably be more responsible for the demise of the species, than for the
> survival. It will may be better if he kept shtum. I know I would. Now that a
> location for the species is known, there will be all kinds of interference
> with the species, mainly with the best of intentions. Like most cryptic
> species, the Night Parrot will suffer from those good intentions.
>
> Carl Clifford
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>