birding-aus

South Island Pied Oystercatcher on Norfolk Island

To: "" <>
Subject: South Island Pied Oystercatcher on Norfolk Island
From: Craig Doolan <>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:45:26 +0000
Today I was alerted to an oystercatcher by local bird tour operator
Margaret Christian at Kingston, Norfolk Island. A single bird was feeding
in open grassland among cattle and feral ducks in the area and I was able
to confirm it as a South Island Pied Oystercatcher.

Oystercatchers occur on the island every few years but have rarely been
properly identified. It is probable most or all of them are SIPO's given
that we are much closer to New Zealand than to Australia. I've put some
pics on my Norfolk Island Natural History blog at
http://naturalnorfolk.com/wp/?p=374.

Craig Doolan
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list