birding-aus

Piping Shrike is South Aus emblemic bird

To: 'birding-aus' <>
Subject: Piping Shrike is South Aus emblemic bird
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 05:42:15 +0000
Names of things like animals are a huge slowly moving feast of entrenched
errors and wrong connections. In the end they mean what we choose. Ground
Butcherbird probably makes sense by virtue of real affinities but how many
Australian people, let alone Collingwood football fans are going to make the
change from Magpie? The name of penguin is based on the Great Auk........
wombats are often called badgers, koalas are called bears, lyrebirds are
called pheasants, our magpies are given the same magpie name as the very
different magpie of Eurasia, etc. Although I don't see what is wrong with
the name it commemorates the black & white scheme..............