birding-aus

Banded Magpie in Brisbane

To: Chris Lloyd <>, "" <>
Subject: Banded Magpie in Brisbane
From: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 01:25:40 +0000
Hi Chris,

I sent your email to David Drynan at the banding office who contacted Jane
Hughes who had been carrying out banding in south-east Queensland.  Her
reply is below.

"yes, this does sound like one of my magpies. We
used powder coated metal bands instead of plastic. It must be a pretty
old bird (hence all the colours have come off), because we have not
banded any birds in South East Queensland for a very long time....I
would need to check my records, but I don't think we have banded any
birds here since the late 90'S.
If you could read the numbers, we could work out where and when!  I
did that once with a spotting scope at about 10 metres!
Cheers,
Jane"

Regards

Greg Clancy