birding-aus

The Most Productive Non-Native Habitats in Aus

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: The Most Productive Non-Native Habitats in Aus
From: John Harris <>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 10:11:09 +0000
Hi All,
I always seem to get more birdies with the binoculars than with the clubs
when I'm wandering around a golf course.... Haven't done it for awhile
though!

Regards

John

*Yours in all things* "*GREEN"*

*John Harris BASc, GDipEd*
*Croydon, Vic*
*Director - Wildlife Experiences Pty Ltd*
*Principal **Zoologist/**Ecologist*
*Nature Photographer*
*Wildlife Guide*
 <>*
*www.flickr.com/photos/wildlifeexperiences
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildlifeexperiences>*
*0409090955*

*Past President, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria*
*(www.fncv.org.au <http://www.fncv.org.au/>)*

On 6 August 2015 at 14:05, Martin Butterfield <> wrote:

> I am not sure about Australian golf courses but where I lived in Ottawa in
> 1991 was next to a golf course with lots of trees which I thought would be
> good for birds.  Unfortunately not.  From December to April it was covered
> with snow (great for skiing after work).  As my Canadian friends explained
> once the snow melts the green keepers soak the place with insecticide to
> protect the grass and no bugs = no food for birds so they go elsewhere.
> WRT to cemeteries I suspect it depends on the attitude of the cemetery
> managers.  The one at Gypsy Point (VIC) seems to be left unmown away from
> the headstones and has a good collection of birds (and an excellent
> collection of orchide in Spring).  By contrast the one at Mongarlowe (NSW)
> often gets mown to bedrock (apparently because the adjacent RFS Unit feels
> it looks bad for them to have vegetation nearby) and the one at Dalton
> (NSW) gets lit up regularly by the RFS  because they think....(?).  Neither
> of these are good birding or botanising spots when those policies are in
> effect.
>
> Martin Butterfield
> http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/
>
> On 6 August 2015 at 12:50, Sonja Ross <> wrote:
>
> > Possibly golf courses and cemeteries too.
> >
> > Sonja
> >

> > <HR>
> > <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> > <BR>
> > <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> > </HR>
> >
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>