birding-aus

Family Friendly Activities in Cairns

To: "" <>
Subject: Family Friendly Activities in Cairns
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 12:10:30 +0000
Before I head north to Cape York (see previous email) the family (Cate + 3 kids
- 4, 7 and 9) are spending a week in Cairns. We have a couple places booked to
the north of Cairns, and a couple of nights at Atherton (because it is nioce
there). I am looking at doing some family friendly activities (that might drag
a few birds in as well).
The three things I would like comment are:
Reef trip - I would like to get to Michaelmas, but is that realistic with a
family? If so any recommendations for good operators? If not is the
birding/reef on Green Island worth the day (we went to Low Isles many years ago
and is that a better option now)?I am thinking about Daintree River Cruise -
but don't really want to do the 4AM start to do the birdwatching one. Any
recommendations for a trip that gives good wildlife sightings (including crocs
and good birds) and is family friendly (in both time and price)?Is the Kuranda
Skyrail (and then return by train which I have never done) worth a day trip? We
will probably end up in Kuranda at some stage, and the day being a true tourist
is tempting. Any reviews either way?Does anyone else have some family friendly
suggestions - we will visit some of the parks around Atherton, and might head
up to Mossman Gorge as well, but any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list