birding-aus

Lord Howe Island boat trips

To: "" <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island boat trips
From: Jason McHattan <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:08:01 +0000
Hi Jeenny,

It's quite weather dependant. I've been out to Balls a couple of times with
Jack. The first time
the conditions were reasonably good, and with a small group, I think about 7
all up. Ian wasn't on
board, but Jack's local bird knowledge is awesome. The conditions were still
good when we came
back to the island, so we did a circumnavigation which was well worth doing.

The second time we went out (16 months later) the weather was pretty crap, with
strong wind and
reasonably sized waves and swell . No other boats seem to go out if the weather
is anything less
than good, but Jack was happy to give it a go. Ian Hutton was on board for this
trip, and his added
knowledge was a bonus. That said, a trip with Jack alone doesn't lack anything.
As the weather
was quite bad by the time we got back (several people had been throwing up the
whole way) we
didn't go around the island, which I think everyone on board was quite happy
about!

Sorry, I have no experience with the other boats.

Regards,
Jason.