birding-aus

Re: [Birding-Aus] Birds of Australia’s Top End

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Birds of Australia’s Top End
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 04:32:04 +0000
Out of curiosity, I just looked up Birds of Wallacea on Amazon. They want USD
899.97 for it. Needless to say, my copy is going to chained and padlocked to my
bookcase. I believe that the prices for books of this type on Amazon are priced
on the basis of the laws of supply and demand, and the philosophy of "there is
a sucker born every minute".

Carl Clifford

> On 27 Jul 2015, at 1:20 pm,  wrote:
>
> This appears to be a not irregular scam with 'out of print' books.
>
> I found a copy of the out of print 'Albatrosses and Petrels Across the
> World'  a couple of years back on ebay, sold from the US. IIRC there
> was a $500 'Buy it now' option but they would only sell to the US so I
> needed to set up a proxy mailbox.
>
> While I was doing that it sold.
>
> And was immediately relisted for $2500 by the new 'owner'.
>
> I emailed the new seller and wished them luck selling an obscure
> ornithological text book at about 10 times the original RRP.
>
> A few days later they had obviously reneged on the deal and it was
> back for sale at $500 through the original seller.  I'd sorted out my
> proxy mailbox by then so it now sits in my bookcase :)
>
> mjh

> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list