birding-aus

not about birds, but may be interesting!

To: "" <>
Subject: not about birds, but may be interesting!
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 05:04:14 +0000
   Hi Birding-ausers
   I know a lot of you out there are interested in mammals and other
   wildlife besides birds, and seeing as things are a bit slow on the bird
   front at the moment I thought I'd share this with you:
   17 years ago we discovered a non-intrusive method of identifying koalas
   by the natural markings in the nostrils.  You may have already heard of
   this, or even noticed the same yourself.  Many koala conservation
   groups, carers and wildlife sanctuaries are already using the method.
   [1]https://echidnawalkabout.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/how-to-identify-ko
   alas-by-their-nose-patterns
   We believe that use of this method in the wild will be of value to:
     * koala protection groups as a citizen science research tool,
     * carers for monitoring released animals,
     * wildlife parks, zoos and sanctuaries for public education
     * scientific researchers as a cost-saving and low-danger/low-stress
       method for wild koalas.

   We are making this method freely available in the interests of
   improving koala conservation.
   The method was presented to the scientific conference [2]Pathways:
   Human Dimensions of Wildlife Management in October 2014
   ([3]presentation pdf), and an article is due for publication in The
   Wildlife Society's (USA) "The Wildlife Professional" magazine this
   winter.  Actual scientific publication of the method is underway (but
   this takes time!).
   See here for background:
   [4]http://www.echidnawalkabout.com.au/wildliferesearch
   or at this WikiHow:
   [5]http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Koalas-by-Their-Nose-Patterns
   Thanks for your time!  Please feel free to share this with anyone
   interested in koalas.
   Janine Duffy

   --

   JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port
   Melbourne,  Victoria  3207  AUSTRALIA