birding-aus

Black-shouldered Lapwing

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Black-shouldered Lapwing
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 11:21:49 +0000
Yesterday, we took an injured Lapwing to WIRES, but it had to be put down.  It
had a broken wing, which might have been rescuable, but the broken bill led to
the assessment that it would not survive.

We had first seen the injured bird in front of our house at Brooms Head, but
thinking we would not be able to catch it, we just watched it.
It just stood for quite some time until another flew in and chased it a few
metres. The aggressor came back to where it started, and the injured one also
came back, but closer to the unmown grass.

Another Lapwing flew in, and the injured one retreated into the grass.  After a
while the first aggressor went and sat on it.  It did nothing else, but after a
while left the injured one and came back onto the mown bit, joining the later
arrival.  They then just started to act as normal, checking out the ground.

We then went out to find the injured bird which, while still alive, was lying
very flat in the grass.

We are wondering if anyone can comment on this behaviour.

Peter and Bev Morgan (watching the whales go by)

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>