birding-aus

The Atlas and eBird

To: "" <>
Subject: The Atlas and eBird
From: Michael Norris <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 04:50:42 +0000
Hi all

Just checked BirdLife and there is an Atlas FAQ that says there are plans and
discussions underway to exchange data between eBird/Eremaea and the Bird Atlas.

That strengthens my concern that there should be ways, especially on eBird, to
report apparent errors.  Is there any?

I know of quite a few errors from my patch, some of which appeared in a
consultant’s report.  I very much doubt that the errors affected any
conclusions but it offends my sensibilities – call me old-fashioned? - to see
inaccuracies on the public record.

Some of the difficulties/errors  are because eBird, like the BirdLife Atlas and
the ALA, uses specific points for records although people will often (for good
reasons) refer to a wider area.  Bunyip State Park in Victoria is an example
where this 80? sq km hotspot includes half-a-dozen more specific locations.
This becomes a particular problem when data is transferred to the Atlas of
Living Australia (that uses an accuracy estimate – how?) or BirdLife where the
focus is on 2 hectare and area searches.   Some of the older records use grid
squares.

I suspect defining sites as polygons or circles would be better – but we are so
lucky to have what we’ve got already.

Michael Norris
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list