birding-aus

Migration in Willie Wagtails

To: "" <>
Subject: Migration in Willie Wagtails
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 06:34:29 +0000
Interesting to note. Most of the birds that are known to migrate
latitudinally long distance in eastern Australia, we detect the changes
quite obviously in the ACT. Also in the ACT we are more familiar with
altitudinal migration than most parts of Australia. The COG Atlas, which was
based on recording rates, shows reduced recording rates for Willie Wagtails
in winter but this can be easily and was explained locally as altitudinal
migration. The GBS data which are based on abundance, shows only slight
monthly variations that does not suggest distance migration but just local
movements and changes in behaviour, (e.g. singing frequency). So that little
bit suggests to me that these movements of WW occur somewhere only north of
our region in ACT. The Grey Fantail shows the same abundance changes through
the year but far more marked between the highs and lows. The Grey Fantail
assembles in larger numbers and probably migrates far more that the Willie
Wagtails does.

Philip