birding-aus

Feral non-native Parrots in Aus

To: "'Donald G. Kimball'" <>, 'birding-aus' <>
Subject: Feral non-native Parrots in Aus
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 07:58:17 +0000
They don't so far, appear to have become a problem around Australia
generally. At least in Canberra where I can provide data, we have been
monitoring birds closely and continually since 1981, Rose-ringed Parrots are
observed probably less than once a year and this has remained stable over
time, inasmuch as one can tell from a small sample size. Rarely are the same
birds observed more than once and rarely more than one or two together as
they would usually be from an escape or release of an individual bird. I am
unaware of any escaped Alexandrine Parrots here (though they could be easily
identified as the same thing). Native parrots that would compete with them
are so abundant here that it may be hard for them to get established. Also
we have lots of raptors here that would find them easy.

What we do have is Australian native parrots introduced or spreading to new
areas and becoming abundant in places where they did not occur before: in
particular the Rainbow Lorikeet and Little Corella.

Philip