birding-aus

I am trying to find some birds

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: I am trying to find some birds
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 23:23:03 +0000

Hi Christina (long time no speak!!),

I would hit Sundown NP for Turq's - it's on the Qld side of the NSW border,
west of Tenterfield & Stanthorpe. Best area for them I've found in Sundown is
in and around that camp area in the south-west section of the NP - just turn
west from Tenterfield & then north at Mole River, which is some 50-odd kms west
of Tenterfield. The NP entrance to use to hit this particular spot is not too
far along the road heading north form Mole River once you cross the Qld border.
If you are lucky, you will have Turq's in the lovely grassy camp area itself -
or around the little dam off to the north side of the rd into the camp area,
about a km or 2 before you actually reach the camp area itself. This dam is
well worth a late arvi or early morn stake-out if needed. For Eungella HE, you
will most likely find them into the mistletoe at this time of year - that's
when I got my first one in the 3rd week of June some years back!! Try the
junction of Snake Rd-Dalrymple Rd, & up along Snake Rd itself. The mistletoe is
pretty obvious & low down in the roadside trees there - good luck!
 For Cassowary, you would be dreadfully unlucky if you were to miss them around
Mission Beach - but if you do miss out there, then hit Etty Bay, just south of
Innisfail... For Albert's LB, I'd first hit the Border Ranges NP (NSW) , & then
onto Lamington NP (QLD) on the O'Reilly's Rd, if you miss out at Border Ranges.
At Lamington NP, anywhere in the last 5kms before you get to O'Reilly's itself
should prove worthy. If you miss them there then you can still try Tambourine
Mountain further north towards Brisbane... cheers,martin cachard,trinity beach,
cairns
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:06:21 +0000
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] I am trying to find some birds
>
> Hi all
>
> I am heading north and looking to fill a few holes in my bird list. A
> Turquoise Parrot as we are heading towards Toowoomba on the way north. The
> Eungella Honeyeater. The Cassowary I am hoping to get at Mission Beach. And
> on the way back Albert’s Lyrebird. Any help gratefully received!
>

> Christina Port
>

> Sent from Windows Mail
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list