birding-aus

Birds of South-west NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: Birds of South-west NSW
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 02:18:47 +0000
Hello Alastair,

Thank you for your prompt. I could also do with some more pics/info on
Redthroats so I did a bit a bit of literature search.

One of our greatest old time birdos in NSW was John Hobbs who lived a long time
in the west. A couple of excerpts from his useful paper Birds of South-west New
South Wales, Emu Vol 61 part 1.

Redthroat

This is a common resident some 20 miles north of Balranald on the Ivanhoe road,
inhabiting old man saltbush and bluebush country. It is also common in cane
grass and bluebush country west of Wentworth. Nests in July and August.

White-browed Treecreeper

A rare resident in the belar timber in mallee country and not seen west of
Euston. The only locality where I found this species at all common was in the
belar and sugarwood scrub between Buronga and Dareton.

That was along while ago and no doubt some of that country could have been
cleared in the meantime. I know of places further east in NSW for the
treecreeper, Round Hill/Nombinnie for one, but they are not at all easy to find
- always in sheoak (belar)

You'll have to go a long way west for the Redthroat.  They can be found all
around the outskirts of Broken hill, even as close as a paddock next to the
Lake View Caravan Park.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>