birding-aus

RFI Perth Airport

To: IPT <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI Perth Airport
From: John Graff <>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:28:22 +0000
Hi Ivan,

I'm not sure if you'll have access to a car - I suspect possibly not, which
might limit things a bit. There are a few places but none probably in easy
walking distance. The main carpark at the domestic is pretty good for
introduced Rainbow Lorikeet and a few urban birds but not much there

If you do have access to a car, or can walk pretty quickly, you could try:
There is a public viewing area along Dunreath Dr - good for planespotting but
also has a few honeyeaters including White-cheeked Honeyeater, Brown and at
present Tawny-crowned. Also get fly buys from Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos and
less commonly Carnaby's, and the chance of a few raptors, particularly Little
Eagle, Nankeen Kestrel and Brown Goshawk. Rainbow Bee-eaters in summer but not
present at the moment. Australian Pipit and sometimes Banded Lapwing can be
seen down on the short grass between the taxiway and runway. Problem is I'm not
100% sure whether you can walk along Dunreath Dr

Guilford Cemetery on Kalamunda Rd just north of the airport is fringed by
bushland on the south edge which has a reasonable selection of bushbirds
including Red-capped Parrot, a range of honeyeaters, Yellow-rumped and Inland
Thornbill and others. Would be one of the better areas to check but would
require a car

You can also walk or drive down to the river at Ascot from the domestic
terminal, via Fauntleroy Av, but it's probably about 2km each way - probably a
bit tight to walk for a 2.5hr stop. A reasonable variety of commoner waterbirds
around, and a few more urban bushbirds too

Not sure if that's much help - hopefully someone has some better ideas
Cheers,
John

> Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:51:18 +1000
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] RFI Perth Airport
>
> Heading to Broome in a couple of weeks.  We have a 2 1/2 hour stopover at
> Perth airport early afternoon.  Just wondering about some quick birding
> opportunities in or around Perth airport.
>
> Cheers Ivan Traverso
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>