birding-aus

re Rufous-crowned Emu-wren sightings around Alice Springs

Subject: re Rufous-crowned Emu-wren sightings around Alice Springs
From: Andrew Browne <>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:34:49 +1000
I've just returned from a Larapinta walking trip and managed to spend time
around Ellery Creek Big Hole and Ormiston Gorge unsuccessfully trying to locate
this Emu-wren to photograph in the localities suggested in "Birds of Australia"
(Thomas, Thomas et al) and "Finding Australian Birds" (Dolby and Clarke). I'm
returning there early June, this time by 4WD, and want to have another try.
Has anyone seen them recently, in which locality and at what time of the day?
My only thought is that as breeding doesn't start until August they're spread
out and perhaps flightier than when breeding?
Thanks and cheers

Andrew

Dr Andrew Browne
Veterinary Surgeon (Ret)