birding-aus

Advertising / Petitions

To: "" <>
Subject: Advertising / Petitions
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 18:35:59 +1000
Hi everyone

I've been completely snowed under with work and have only just started
catching up on recent threads - a big thank you to the moderation team
(Bill and Peter, assisted often by Paul and Karen) who keep things ticking
over day after day.

As Andrew and others noted, we decided to allow advertising some months
ago, as long as it is birding-related and clearly identified as
advertising. There hasn't been a rush of commercial posts, mainly because
the few people posting them have been respectful of the rest of this
community. I would like to thank everyone for that.

If you are running a trip, or have published a new guide, app, website or
magazine, please feel free to let this part of the birding community know
about it. If someone asks about a guide in a particular area, or a birding
bookshop, or bird-friendly accommodation, etc then it's appropriate to
reply to the individual and/or the group (please put ADVERTISEMENT in your
reply subject).

Guides and others who post helpful information, or participate in
discussions, and have something about their services in their message block
are also acting within the guidelines of this forum. What I DON'T think is
appropriate is someone posting frequently and prinicipally about their
birding tours or services - there are plenty of other avenues for this.

As I've often said in the past, if you don't like a post, stop reading it
and delete it. As always, discuss the topic and not the writer!

Petitions: if they are about wild bird welfare, then by all means, inform
the community via birding-aus. But I do agree that some of the very
worthwhile crowdsourcing organisations like getup and change.org can get on
one's nerves a bit. I don't sign many petitions, but I do find it a bit
annoying that these sort of organisations bombard you with a lot of
irrelevant causes.

One more point: a number of people have kindly and generously offered to
support birding-aus over the years, but so far I haven't had to take up
these offers. The costs are fairly small, and I've benefited in many, many
ways - learning more, meeting lots of wonderful people online and in
person, and many of these have been generous with their time and shown me
around their local patch. I am grateful for all these kindnesses and hope
to meet many more birding-aus members.

Russell Woodford
Ocean Grove
Birding-Aus Founder