birding-aus

Grasswrens and fairy-wrens.

To: Martin Cake <>
Subject: Grasswrens and fairy-wrens.
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:24:28 +1000
Hello again Martin,

Thank you so much for the extra dulcis pics,  particularly the winter males.
Until now I had no idea they looked like that - so far as I can see they've
never been illustrated in any of the guides, even in HANZAB. I assume the first
pic with the bi-coloured bill is a young bird. That white eye-ring is quite
distinctive and I can see why they were once regarded as being closer to Lovely
Fairy-wrens than Variegated. It would be interesting to see pics of the
intermediate forms from, say, on the Roper. The Directory says that even some
females from on the Macarthur have a bluish tone.

Cheers

Graeme

On 09/05/2015, at 12:53 PM, Martin Cake wrote:

> Hi Grame
>
> Heres some more - just added to the birding-ays Facebook page. Includes
> some eclipse males.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Martin
>
> On 9/05/2015 10:31 am, "Graeme Chapman" <>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Martin,
>>
>> Thanks for the pic, one I would be pleased to have taken. Yours was the
>> only reply so far so I guess there really are very few pics of this taxon.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Graeme Chapman
>>

>> On 08/05/2015, at 12:38 PM, Martin Cake wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Graeme
>>>
>>> Photo of female dulcis attached. Taken on a failed White-throated
>>> Grasswren hunt up Gunlom escarpment in 2013.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>> <dulcis female.jpg>
>>

> <DSC_0194.jpg><DSC_0199.jpg><DSC_0202.jpg><DSC_0206.jpg><DSC_0208.jpg>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>