birding-aus

Rusty Grasswren

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Rusty Grasswren
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 16:53:37 +1000
The thread (and advertisements) for Grasswren tours is timely, as Jun Matsui
and I went down to Opalton over the weekend in quest of the proposed split
Rusty Grasswren, one of 4 proposed out of what was- or is- Striated Grasswren.
We found a pair in the spinifex just south of Opalton and will post photos to
our website below, also got Chestnut-breasted Quailthrush, Hall's Babbler and
lots of Budgies, but it was very dry here and small birds were very sparse.
Bladnesburg NP further N near Winton that afternoon May 4 was very nice, here
we managed Cloncurry Ringneck ( when oh when will they split the ringnecks into
2_+ species?), Grey-headed honeyeater, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Spinifexbird
and a great pair of Rufous-crowned Emuwren, plus Cockatiels, Budgies and an
Emu, all making for a very good trip, about 1000km from us in Cairns and
Kuranda.

Coming back we saw 13 Australian Bustards between Winton and Km 40 from
Hughenden, all feeding right by the road, and several hundred budgies flying
over. A good pick up for us at Woodstock near Townsville were 2 of the
white-rumped race of Black-throated Finch sat on a fence wire, a new taxon for
both of us. This is of course greatly threatened by proposed coal mining
ventures, which should neatly decimate the habitat- amusing to read how the
company apologists are going to combat this by setting up equivalent habitats,
as if such things can be magicked out of thin air.....

Anyway, a very successful weekend. To digress slightly  I even got a new local
area bird on May 2 when a flock of 40+ Masked Woodswallows appeared over
Cassowary House, with 5+ White-browed amongst them, the latter a new bird for
me here and the former only our second sighting in the 18 years we have been
here. Off to the Solomons next.....

Phil Gregory

ornithological writer/ bird guide/ tour organizer
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
P.O. Box 387
Kuranda
QLD, 4881
Australia

Phone: +61 (0)7 4093 7318
Fax: +61 (0)7 4093 9855

Website 1: Http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au
ornithological writer/ bird guide/ tour organizer
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
P.O. Box 387
Kuranda
QLD, 4881
Australia