birding-aus

Kookaburra Behaviour

To: <>
Subject: Kookaburra Behaviour
From: "David and Margaret Merrall" <>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 18:32:53 +1000
I am posting this on behalf of Robert Strachan

Birding Aus,

I live on the Atherton Tablelands and a friend gave me this address to see if
anyone out there can explain to me some
unusual behaviour by our local group of kookaburras. Several times over the
past few years I've noticed that a group
of 5 or so perch on a limb of a tall milky pine tree out in the paddock. More
than usually boisterous and with an
enthusiasm which attracted my attention, they each take turns fluttering over
to the main trunk of the tree where there
is a sort of declivity below a fork of the tree. They all seemingly push their
chests into the bark while flapping to keep
themselves in position. They are not perched on any projection, but press
themselves up against the vertical surface
of the tree. There is a lot of calling and laughing back and forth, almost as
if they are encouraging or challenging each
other to outdo the last participant. I know that's just me anthropomorphising,
but that's what it seems like. . .

This display goes on for about 10-15 minutes and then they seem to have had
enough. I would appreciate it if you
could help with some explanation, as it is quite mystifying.

Thanks, Robert Strachan
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>