birding-aus

Owlet-Nightjar

To: Judith L-A <>
Subject: Owlet-Nightjar
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:44:39 +1000
"Metallic whip sound" doesn't sound quite right, but I suppose some of the
calls could be described that way. Have you listened to any recordings to
compare? Can you make a recording?

Often they start calling at the entrance of their hole just before dark, so you
might be able to find it while it's still light. The hole can be very small.
I'm not sure if they use the same roost every day.

This is Steven Debus's reply, from Shirley's reply:
 Best detected by call at night, then approach the call with a spotlight.
Not much eyeshine.  They can be seen by driving slowly around on bush
tracks, sometimes fly up from the ground.  They call from their hollows
during the day, and may be seen at the entrance or they might flush out when
approached (though vulnerable to attack when flushed, so I wouldn't
deliberately flush them).  At dusk they emerge and fly around, though not
much more than a silhouette in that light level.  In daytime or dusk their
flight is undulating like a rosella or shrike-thrush.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list