birding-aus

Dash cam for outback trip - advice please

To: "Ian & Carla Jackett" <>
Subject: Dash cam for outback trip - advice please
From: David Clark <>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:50:33 +1000
I have a GoPro.  I have hardly used it but other folk get very good results
(not necessarily for birds though).

The advantages of GoPros are that they have a water and dust resistant case
and can be mounted on the outside of the vehicle (controlled by
smartphone).  I am sure other folk will have greater expertise with them.

I am apprehensive about driving at night in the outback and only do so if
there's no alternative.  Even at 40-60kph, you will have very little time
to react if a kangaroo, or something larger, appears in front of the car.

Cheers

David

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Ian & Carla Jackett <
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am wondering if any of you have used a dash cam (video with microphone)
> or
> similar, for driving at night often at slow speeds up to 40- 60kph to spot
> birds?  Instead of holding my video camera or phone, it would be nice to
> have something mounted that could pick up things on the track, enough for
> ID
> purposes at least.  If you can recommend any I would appreciate it if you
> could please let me know as there seems to be a few out there and not sure
> what distance most cover or if some brands are better than others?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Carla
>
> Bellawongarah, NSW
>
> <HR>