birding-aus

Mound defence by the Australian Bush Turkey

To: <>
Subject: Mound defence by the Australian Bush Turkey
From: <>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 22:19:40 +0000
Hi Laurie,

Standard behaviour for brush turkeys in defence against potential nest
predators that I've seen is to try and cover them up with stuff. I've now seen
it with a lace monitor, yellow-spotted monitors, eastern water dragons, agile
wallabies, a brush-tail possum, an eastern brown snake and people - quite
annoying when you're quietly trying to enjoy lunch. I think the males do it
when they are so completely hormonally driven that they lose all common sense
(as if they had any in the first place). The ones I've seen do it have that
vacant look in the eye, the highly coloured, distended wattles, etc.

Cheers,

Eric