birding-aus

cats and also WTNT in NE Tasmania

Subject: cats and also WTNT in NE Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:04:57 +1100

Thank you for your reply Eric. I genuinely appreciate your effort to reply to me and will study the papers you have sent me. Because of your considered reply, and the serious nature of the subject, I will try and answer your comments as best I can. I agree it would be great to see a thorough genetic study to examine the source of feral cats in Australia, especially to compare cats from the remotest parts of the kimberley coast and top end to those found from both Sulawesi, Java and Madagascar (or anywhere other likely source.). If the study was done in a truly scientific manner to find actual results without an agenda that was not trying to prove a pre existing assumption that cats were either here or not here before European colonisation of Australia.

Just to clarify, I am not a cat lover or cat owner, in fact have an allergy of cats. My position on this comes from many years ago when I worked on the Kimberley Coast and from reading old maritime journals about the area from any source I could get hold of. I cannot remember where now but I did read of the earliest European maritime explorers along the northern Australian coast encountering Makassar's trepang (sea cucumber) fisherman off Arnhem Land and it was noted that their trepang boats carried numerous cats on board for rat control. There are many ancient trepang camps along the Kimberley coast. The sites are characterised by a sheltered wave action coast, good high tide access, reasonably well sheltered location and the presence of very old Boab trees and even more distinctively, Tamarind trees. Some of these camps are very established and probably existed for many generations. Although it is subjective speculation, it makes sense to me that over such a long period of time, the trepang fisherman would have taken cats ashore as both pets and for vermin control at their cooking/storage sites.

The comment regarding more harm than good relates to personal experience with failed animal control programmes, especially Red Kangaroos, Rabbits and Goats and to a lesser extent with horses, donkeys and camels. During the late 70's, 80's and early 90's, I was wildlife officer based at Leigh Creek and observed/participated in various programs in northern flinders ranges, simpson desert, Strzelecki desert and cooper creek where rabbits were shot intensively in several areas over many years only to find that when severe drought struck an area, rabbits crashed severely nearly everywhere except, where the shooters had been operating. The most intensive control areas were the very best areas for rabbit drought survival. Away from the shooting sites, it took years before rabbit numbers built up again. Where rabbits had crashed, we observed remarkable vegetation regeneration however around the control areas, the rabbit population was back within a year or two of the drought. This was a classic case where an animal population benefited by managing it below the carrying capacity of the land. This is my fear with ineffective cat control

If we had left the rabbits alone, the population would probably have crashed severely in our control areas as it did everywhere else due to the drought (food starvation) but instead, the rabbits hung on in low numbers and when the drought broke, irrupting from the very areas we were managing .

As you would know, Red Kangaroos are commercially harvested. Along the Dog Fence in SA, Red Kangaroos were harvested as much as anywhere else however, it was found that in some areas such as Murnpeowie, Moolawatana, Wooltana, Balcanoona, when all the older larger adult males were taken out along the fence, the space (The vacuum) was filled by mostly juvenile and younger animals. Notwithstanding the anticipated natural nomadic movements of the population, often greater numbers would move in than were previously resident. The older resident roos being more territorial had kept most of the younger animals away or moved them on The new uneducated arrivals were apparently not fence trained and consequently, fence damage would increase significantly in the area. These are just two cases of unintended consequences but from my perspective, the damage caused by sporadic animal control measures usually creates a vacuum that inevitably is filled by other undesirables and that is what usually causes more harm than good. Having said that, direct action by constructing and managing effective vermin enclosures has proven to be highly effective in specific cases but the ongoing cost of management and maintenance is huge.

Anyway, that's about it from me for now but regarding the makassan traders, of interest is http://austhrutime.com/macassan_traders.htm

regards

Ian May
St Helens Tasmania 7216
0428337956

 wrote:

Hi Ian, Thanks for your email regarding cats. I've responded to various points you've made within the email.

Regards,
Eric