birding-aus

Compact Cameras and Pelagics

To: 'Paul Dodd' <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Compact Cameras and Pelagics
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 08:21:55 +1100
Paul Dodd wrote:

> Now the negatives. The camera uses a "CX" size sensor, which
> is quite small
> - I find the images quite noisy, even at relatively low ISOs.

The sensor size of the Nikon 1 is I think the 1" size shown here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SensorSizes.svg
It's small but still way bigger than a typical compact camera sensor. I believe
they mostly use the smallest two sizes shown on that chart, so they're even
noisier. Perhaps this is a good compromise between weight and image quality.

> In terms of comparison with other cameras, the Canon SX50 and
> SX60 come to mind - whilst they're not exchangeable lens
> cameras like the Nikon 1, they are comparable in other ways,
> not the least that quite a few birders have one or the other
> of these cameras. Firstly, both Canons exceed the maximum
> zoom of the Nikon - the SX50 has a 1200mm equivalent and the
> SX60 has a 1360mm equivalent (compared with 810mm using my
> 70-300mm lens on the Nikon).

It would be useful to see side by side comparisons of photos taken with the
Nikon 1 with 70-300mm and an SX50 or SX60. Sometimes the ability of the camera
to focus and get the exposure right (or allow you to do that yourself) makes
more difference than image noise and lens sharpness.

I hope more people come forward with their experiences with smaller cameras.
Looking at what people are using these days, it's like a war of attrition, with
the winner being the one who can carry the biggest lens. They take wonderful
photos, but I find it detracts from the birding experience when you have to
spend so much time and effort manhandling equipment.

Peter Shute
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>