birding-aus

Feral Cats

To: "'Sonja Ross'" <>, "'Denise Goodfellow'" <>
Subject: Feral Cats
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 17:03:48 +1100
The Australian Veterinary Association has an official policy on the control
of feral and un-owned cats:

http://www.ava.com.au/policy/132-management-cats-australia

I'm not sure if that means vets have an active involvement already, but I'm
under the impression from reading this statement that they are.

Several people, including myself, have raised the issue on Birding-aus
previously that thinning the feral cat population in a particular area just
allows formerly non-breeding cats to assume breeding status in the
population or other cats to move in from the surrounding areas. Therefore,
feral cat control has to be intensive (eradicating all or nearly all
individuals within a feral cat population), extensive (continent-wide) and
ongoing. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places, but I haven't seen any
government initiative, either at a federal or state level, that convinces me
that approach will happen. So it is important for any public lobbying to
push strongly for intensive, extensive and ongoing feral cat control.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW