birding-aus

White-rumped Sandpiper

To: "Brian & Meg" <>
Subject: White-rumped Sandpiper
From: "cgregory123 ." <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:39:28 +1100
Hi Brian and Meg
We drove down from Sydney last Friday and arrived about 2.00 on a hot day.
We walked the lake beach up to the swampy end and apart from lots of
Red-necked stints and Red-capped plovers there was no sign of much else. We
walked to the sign about fox baiting and turned around and every thing
changed.

First point the lake is not currently connected to the sea and is not
obviously tidal.  Second the action around 3.00 is pretty much 400 metres
from the car park, lake side and opposite the first isolated small grassy
dune between the beach and the lake. Here we saw and photographed a Grey
Plover. Then having given up on the WRS I was taking photos of some other
lifers, which had "turned" up, 3 White-winged Black Terns. As I was taking
the photos they moved revealing the WRS on the shoreline. As others have
pointed out he/she is easily approached within reason. Stand still and
he/she is a bit of a show off. Took many photos, some show a diagnostic
yellow mark at the base of the bill.

There was also one very fine Caspian Tern with a red flag on its leg.
Anyone out there know what a red flag on a Caspian Tern with the number
"85" means?

Cheers
Chris Gregory

On 25 February 2015 at 20:55, Brian & Meg <> wrote:

> We’re thinking of flying down to Sydney next Monday and driving down to
> try and see the White-rumped Sandpiper. Are sightings down at Lake
> Wollumboola dependent on the tide times?? I’ve got all the info that
> everyone else has reported but nothing seems to have been written about
> tide times. This plan is only going ahead if someone reports that the bird
> is still present this weekend – so, if anyone sees it, please report it.
> Thanks
> Brian & Meg Johnson
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list