birding-aus

night parrot conservation

To: Stephen <>, "" <>
Subject: night parrot conservation
From: Kim Sterelny <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:45:33 +0000
Stephen

The problem with taking a group into captivity to breed is that the breeding
biology might well require special stimuli or special foods that we can find
out about only through a lot of trial and error (and the errors we cannot
afford) or a good knowledge of the bird's natural history and breeding cycle.
The kiwis seem now to have cracked the kakapo cycle, but it took a lot of
doing, especially to avoid producing all male chicks (the female kakapos
interpreted plentiful food as a signal to invest in male offspring; they have
evolved a lek breeding system, so a successful male, when populations were in
their more natural state, cleaned up big time; so females made males when times
were great; girls when times were leaner, but still good enough to breed.  So
to successfully induce female chicks took a lot of research, and a lot of
failure).

Of course, no course of action, even with the best will in the world is
risk-free, once populations fall to critically endangered levels, as one
assumes must be the case with the night parrot.

I agree with the general line of response in support of Young and his efforts
over the last day or so, and the general reluctance to place too much trust in
the parks authorities, given how much under the thumb they are from current
political imperatives; they are civil servants; they are bound to follow
official policy whether they like it or not. But I do agree with the remark
that the audio files should be released so others can search for other
populations; even a single other one could be precious, especially as I assume
we know very little about the genetic diversity, age structure, or sex ratio of
the ones that Young has found.

Kim

Kim Sterelny, School of Philosophy, Research School of the Social Sciences,
Australian National University, Acton, 0200, ACT, Australia
 or

61-(0)2-6125-2886