birding-aus

Feral cats - an export market?

To: Charles <>
Subject: Feral cats - an export market?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:52:18 +1100
If that poisoning method is more selective then great. I don't know if
exporting is a good idea though. Apart from the outcry, any hunting that
generates profit is likely to either fizzle out when density gets low, or
encourage people to breed more of them instead of hunting.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 10:07 pm, Charles <> wrote:
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> True in some regards. A friend of mine from Myanmar likes to eat cat (and
> can't stand eating lamb - hates the smell).
>
> Cats are very hard to catch.
>
> They are every where.
>
> I saw a very large black feral cat last August (2014) near the famed
> Golden-shouldered parrot site near Musgrave Roadhouse.
>
> As you know the GSP is primarily a ground feeder.
>
> I've seen feral cats at most of my favourite bird watching sites across
> Australia (from Nightcap NP to Cape York to Fitzgerald River NP).
>
> I spoke with a guy from Northern Queensland last week who said he uses them
> for bait in crab nets. They are excellent bait he said.
>
> This approach to cull them is the best I've seen for a while, see link below:
>
> http://m.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/dying-to-be-clean-the-new-technique-for-controlling-feral-cats-20141107-11iehz.html
>
> Cheers,
> Charles Hunter
> Bronte, Sydney
>
>> On 18 Feb 2015, at 6:29 pm, Carl Clifford <> wrote:
>>
>> Cat meat is quite popular in parts of Asia and there is a good market for
>> cat fur in China and Korea. Perhaps there is a chance for Australian
>> entrepreneurs to not only take advantage of these markets and help the
>> control. After all, just shooting the cats and leaving the carcasses where
>> they fall only gives other cats a free meal.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> Carl Clifford
>>

>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>