birding-aus

Another new bird for Australia - Blyth's Pipit

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Another new bird for Australia - Blyth's Pipit
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:56:11 +1100
If anyone really wants to see one, forget time travel, probably to go to
Mongolia or southern Asia would be a better option.

Philip

This from Wikipedia:

The Blyth's pipit (Anthus godlewskii) is a medium-sized passerine bird which
breeds in Mongolia and neighbouring areas. It is a long distance migrant
moving to open lowlands in southern Asia. It is a very rare vagrant to
western Europe.

This is a large pipit, but is an undistinguished looking species on the
ground, mainly brown above and pale below. It is very similar to Richard's
pipit, but is slightly smaller, shorter legs and a shorter dark bill. Its
flight is strong and direct, and it gives a characteristic "pshee" call,
higher pitched than Richard's.

In south Asia, in winter some care must be taken to distinguish this from
other large pipits which winter or are resident in the area, including
Richard's. This species is insectivorous.

This bird was named after the English zoologist Edward Blyth.