birding-aus

Strange sight - a dump chook with a cane toad

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Strange sight - a dump chook with a cane toad
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:05:27 +1000
I saw the weird  spectacle yesterday in a Brisbane city park yesterday.  A
White Ibis was walking around with a cane toad that was several times the
volume of its head.  The toad was clearly too big to swallow and the ibis had
no idea what to do with it.  Not having the requisite predatory bill to open
it, the ibis was continually juggling the toad.  I’m not sure if it was trying
to shake a leg off, but it wasn’t bashing the toad against the ground as a
Kookaburra would.  I watched the spectacle for 5 minutes before I moved on,
leaving the ibis to its game.

Regards, Laurie
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list