birding-aus

Scrubtit

To: <>
Subject: Scrubtit
From: "Dick Jenkin" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 21:49:11 +1100
Hi all

Just back from Tassie . Thanks to all for the info. We had a leisurely trip
with a couple of friends, taking photos etc. We saw 11 of the endemics on a
lousy weather day 1, and picked up the 12th, Forty Spotted Pardalote at
Peter Murrell reserve and then in 3 different locations on Bruny, Missionary
Road, 3kms south of Dennes Point and at Inala where we managed some photos
on our last day there when the sun came out and the wind died down !

We didn't go out at night so didn't try for any of the night birds. I
managed to photographed all bar the Strong-billed Honeyeater and the Black
Currawong. I got great shots of Tasmanian Thornbill , Scrubtit and Tasmanian
Scrub-wren and the Scrubtit we saw did have white tips to the underneath of
the tail. We saw one pair at Fern Tree and 2 pairs on South Bruny along with
4 Pink Robins, 3 male and 1 brown bird.

Other highlights were 5 Freckled Duck including some nicely coloured males
at Gould's Lagoon and 8 Swift Parrots at the top of the Meehan Nature
Reserve Stringybark track. One was even asleep in one of the photos I took !
There were 5 adult and 3 immature Hooded Plovers at Adventure Bay just on
the beach in front of the supermarket and 3 adults on Cloudy Bay beach. Only
5 Little Penguin came in at dusk at the Hummock.

The grand finale was a fabulous pelagic yesterday with the highlight being a
very obliging Mottled Petrel that gave several passes and fed at the back of
the boat for a while.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW